The data preparation market is growing at a fast clip—Gartner predicts that it will reach $1 billion by 2019, with 30% of organizations adopting some form of self-service data preparation. To better understand this expanding market, Dresner Advisory Services, a research firm led by former Gartner analyst Howard Dresner (who coined the technology term business intelligence), released its second annual end-user data preparation market study. The study covers everything from data preparation usage trends to most-valued features, providing new insights about this cutting-edge space.
In its analysis of data preparation vendors, the Dresner study considered five core capabilities: usability, integration, output, data manipulation, and deployment features. Among the 29 vendors that Dresner evaluated, we’re excited to announce that Trifacta claimed the top ranking—for the second year in a row! To win this award twice is extremely validating, and further proof that our unique approach to data preparation aligns with the market’s needs.
The study examined users at a cross-section of companies, both large and small, in a wide variety of industries. We invite you to review the results of this study by downloading the full End-User Data Preparation Study from Dresner Advisory Services. Here are a few of the highlights:
- More than 64% of respondents constantly or frequently perform end-user data preparation.
- It’s clear that data preparation is important for the majority of organizations, and will only become more so as the volume and complexity of their data increases.
- But, just over 12% claim they are highly effective in performing data preparation.
- Data preparation is often challenging, with many organizations lacking the technical resources to devote to comprehensive data preparation. Choosing the right self-service data preparation software is an important step.
- Usability features, such as the ability to build/execute data transformation scripts without requiring technical expertise or programming skills, were considered “critical” or “very important” features by over 60% of respondents.
- As big data becomes decentralized and integrated into multiple facets of an organization, users of all abilities need to be able to wrangle data themselves.
- That’s why we built Trifacta—our intuitive interface empowers users of varying technical abilities to think and operate like a data scientist.
- The top two features, the ability to aggregate and group data, and a simple interface for imposing structure on raw data are, at minimum, important to more than 90 percent of respondents.
- The nature of data is changing. It’s coming to organizations from multiple avenues and in many structures, and will only continue to become more complex.
- We engineered Trifacta with that in mind, enabling our users to wrangle data of all shapes and sizes.
- More than 80 percent of respondents identified the ability to interactively sample data as “critical” or “important” features of end user data preparation products
- Respondents of the study understand that knowing what’s in your data up front is critical to understanding what to do with it later.
- With Trifacta, our Hadoop support enables detailed profiling at any scale, so that customers know exactly what kind of data they’re dealing with.
- Over 85% of respondents indicated that they integrated data preparation software with existing tools.
- Respondents agree—data preparation is not a siloed tool. There are many other interlocking pieces to the big data puzzle, of which data preparation is one key component.
- We specifically chose to build best-of-breed software, allowing our customers the flexibility to choose the remaining components themselves.
Once again, we’re honored to have received this recognition and are excited to play a key role as the data preparation market further develops. To learn more about Trifacta’s award-winning product and experience it firsthand, sign up for the free Trifacta Wrangler today!