Head of Data, Trifacta
Trifacta was founded in the year 2012 to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: ready to process Data. Chief Strategy Officer Joe Hellerstein, Chief Experience Officer Jeffrey Heer and Chief Technical Officer Sean Kandel have a 20-year track record of joint research and development. They first teamed up when Joe was researching data-centric systems at UC Berkeley, while Jeffrey and Sean were developing new tools for data transformation and discovery at Stanford. This work resulted in Data Wrangler, a breakthrough tool for data transformation and discovery, which launched in 2011. A year later, the threesome founded Trifacta to commercialize what had begun as an academic research project.
Trifacta is the industry pioneer and established leader of the global market for data preparation technology. Our products draw on decades of research in human-computer interaction, scalable data management and machine learning to make the process of refining data faster and more intuitive. Today, more than 50,000 Data Wranglers across 12,000 companies use our solutions. And every independent and analyst ranking has named Trifacta the number one data preparation solution worldwide. But we know many more companies can benefit from using Trifacta, especially as more companies leverage our self service SaaS solution in the cloud.
Data is often the most important asset for Trifacta’s customers, and this couldn’t be more true also for Trifacta. At the heart of our growth strategy is the ability for us to leverage the wealth of data we have about our customers and users.
Trifacta, the pioneer in data transformation, significantly enhances the value of an enterprise’s data by enabling users to easily transform raw, complex data into clean and structured inputs for analysis. Leveraging decades of innovative work in human-computer interaction, scalable data management, and machine learning, Trifacta’s unique Predictive Interaction technology creates a bidirectional partnership between user and machine, with each component learning from the other and becoming smarter through use.
We are seeking an experienced data leader who will work side by side with our product managers, engineers, designers, and cross functional operators in a fast growing environment. You will think strategically and understand the business deeply to set the right long-term goals, as well as oversee operational responsibilities required to keep our data platform running smoothly for a broad set of stakeholders. You will be given the opportunity to grow the existing data ops and analyst team. The role will report directly into our CTO and requires a mix of technical depth, principled thinking and business acumen.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL
- Meet with key stakeholders from Product, Engineering, Customer Experience and Solutions, Sales, Marketing and other teams to get a better understanding of our business priorities and requirements for product usage data.
- Meet with our existing Data/DevOps and Engineering teams to learn more about our product, data streams, events logging and the core data hub/spoke model.
- Meet with core data engineers and data analysts to understand their workflow and challenges.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL.
- Begin to have deep understanding of core data pipelines, data collection models and roles and responsibilities of various members and stakeholders
- Define near term process, strategy and OKRs across product, analytics, and data engineering to optimize the data platform - including our internal event logging system, data processing pipelines, experimentation framework, and data visualization and dashboards
- Manage expectations and collaborate with different stakeholders across multiple departments
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Own Trifacta’s centralized data hub and responsibilities for the overall data platform
- Drive mid to longer term roadmap and strategy for data / analytics tools, systems and processes
- Assist the product team using data and business domain knowledge to identify opportunities through both tactical and longer term initiatives
- Foster a culture of data-driven decision making in the company and drive changes in the processes and culture in the organization
SKILLS YOU POSSESS
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience / 3+ years of data platform management experience
- Deep understanding of operational data pipelines and analytics systems
- Skilled analytically and strong understanding of SQL
- Familiar with big data and cloud data technologies and vendor ecosystems (databases, machine learning, log collection and events model)
- Familiar with analytics and data analysis tool chains (Amplitude, Segment, BI/dashboard tools)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, you know how to work with both individual contributors and senior leaders
- You are passionate about data driven decision making and have the ability to evangelize change across the organization
Our team strives to set a new bar for SAAS based products with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We have recently raised our Series-E funding of $100 million.Our product is highly differentiated and has a very strong unique value proposition. Our product is OEMed by google for a first class service on GCP (https://cloud.google.com/dataprep/) as well as IBM for Watson Platform (their AI and Data platform).
We operate with a trust based culture with strong independence and autonomy to teams. We don't operate under artificial deadlines and give freedom to every engineer to do engineering in the right way. We operate as a single team and display great teamwork. We believe in creating the impact through our work. We offer a learning environment with exposure to a broad range of engineering problem statements and a collaborative setup to solve them well. See - https://www.trifacta.com/about-us/ for some more details.
Trifacta is an equal opportunity employer. At Trifacta, we are committed to cultivating a culture of authenticity, inclusion and connectedness. Our diverse voices and backgrounds enrich the Trifacta community with experience, insights, knowledge, innovation and the collective ability to achieve excellence. We respect and value the unique contributions of each individual, creating a safe space for self-expression across ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, language, education, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, opinions, cultures and beliefs. We know that embracing our differences has a multiplying effect and brings out the best of humanity.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
(Sign up to stay in touch, we’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team.)